EDDB welcomes all new players to Elite: Dangerous! 22-11-20
The Epic Store giveaway draws many new players to the game and I welcome all of you to take part in this epic space adventure! To make it
easier understand EDDB here are some FAQs for starters:
What is EDDB?
EDDB is a website which tries to act as a database of all the data available in the game. In general EDDB tries to help finding stuff which players are looking for.
Where does the data on EDDB come from?
The data which can be found on EDDB is 100% community generated. There is no regular data dump from Frontier. Systems, stations, commodity prices, outfitting or shipyard information - all this information is 100% coming from the actual player base.
How can you help keeping the data on EDDB up to date?
Short answer: Use a program like EDMC while playing the game, and every time you visit a system or a station, EDDB is being updated with the latest data.
Long answer: Not only EDDB but most of the Elite community websites are connected to a realtime data network called EDDN. The basic idea is that players
use an EDDN client while playing the game and for instance if the player docks on a station, the latest station information is being transmitted to the EDDN network. Every website which supports EDDN gets
those updates immediately. There are many client programs, offering different kinds of functionality. However, one simple to use client is EDMC, so I recommend this one for starters.
Attractions - Settlements, Installations, Abandoned Bases, Shipwrecks and
I am very pleased to present you the new section
Attractions on EDDB. Under this section you will find
all "things" which you cannot dock to, but which are worth a visit. At the moment these can be
settlements, installations, abandoned bases, shipwrecks and beacons.
Settlements were completely moved from the station section to the new attraction section. As
a result, all stations are now dockable by definition.
- The possibility to edit stations on ROSS has been deactivated, since this data is updated
100% via EDDN.
- In contrast, attractions cannot currently be created or updated automatically and must be
manually managed on ROSS.
- I tried to start the feature with as many initial attractions as possible. A lot of
different data sources were imported initially.
- To avoid that manual maintenance of the data records leads to a deterioration of the data
quality, attractions can be updated with two different access levels. Every normal user
logged on to ROSS may only update certain properties such as the controlling faction. A
special user group with more permissions can be assigned on request.
- Settlements: Over 50,000 settlements could be imported from
many sources. With the insane help of DJA, it was possible to precisely assign the specific
characteristics of most of the settlements. This includes in particular the presence of data
Now it is possible to filter settlements by materials.
- Installations: The data quality of the installations is not
quite as good as for the settlements. Almost 20,000 records are currently available. If you
are very familiar with the specific characteristics of the different installations, feel
free to contact me so that we can improve the data quality together.
- Beacons: As data source for beacons
this list was used. At the moment there
are 667 tourist beacons on EDDB.
- Abandoned Bases and Shipwrecks: The entries of both groups
100% manually. 52 abandoned bases and 18 shipwrecks are currently known to me and are
largely complete. For almost all entries pictures of DJA or Canonn are available (Thanks!).
An exact assignment of materials and commodities is not yet available. However, this can be
manually maintained by every user on ROSS.
- All in all the development of the whole feature took much longer than expected. I tend to
refactor certain parts of the source code when I notice something. This can inevitably lead
to unexpected bugs.
- Therefore: If you found a bug or have suggestions for improvement,
don't hesitate to contact me (@themroc) on our
Fleet Carriers and other things 20-06-20
The arrival of Fleet Carriers brought about some necessary changes on EDDB. Prices were all over
the place and as of now we have no way to automatically update landing permissions for Carriers.
All trading helper have Fleet Carriers disabled by default.
The commodity detail page (eg Tritium) also has
Carriers disabled on all views by default.
The Multi Hop Trade Route Finder has been enhanced
with a minimum demand and minimum supply option.
The station filter in all trading helper have planetary stations enabled by default. This
prevents deadlocks in some trading configurations.
Three new station facilities have been added and can be used as a filter in the Station Finder: Fleet Carrier Vendor, Fleet
Carrier Administration and Interstellar Factors. It takes some time until all stations are
updated with EDDN data.
EDDB now finally has a dark mode! 01-01-20
A dark mode was by far the most requested feature for EDDB. And now it is finally here.
When I started developing EDDB 5 years ago, I had not prepared the site for multi-themes. And the
longer I waited, the more difficult it would become to rework the associated source code to make
it multi-theme capable. A complete refactoring of the SCSS was necessary (moving all color
values in variables and generalizing structures) and that took some time. Although it took
really long, I hope you enjoy it.
If you encounter any problems regarding legibility or contrast, please do not hesitate to
I wish all commanders out there a fantastic 2020 o7.
EDDB has been updated for 3.3 - Elite Dangerous: Beyond - Chapter
I'm pleased to announce that EDDB has (finally) been updated for the new 3.3 update. Since a lot
of internal stuff changed, errors could happen. Please don't hesitate to contact me on Discord
if you experience any unexpected behavior.
Complete rewrite of the EDDN parser. This allows better error detection and cleaner data
import. It took far longer than I anticipated. I'm very happy with the current solution
though, so it was worth it.
Adding all new commodities, ships and ship modules.
Adding all new allegiance and government types.
Adapting EDDB to the new faction behavior: Factions now have multiple states which get
inherited by their controlled systems and stations.
Many little fixes I forgot to keep track of
For now the EDDN body parsing has been disabled. This should not have a big impact, since a
lot of bodies have been imported already. I expect to get the parsing back within a week.
API Update! The nightly dump schema has been updated. Check
the API page for more information.
Important note regarding price updates! 29-09-17
Update: This has been fixed!
Unfortunately Frontiers API for prices,
outfitting and shipyard is still offline. This leads to EDMC or other apps not working for
price updates right now. EDDBs route finder is possibly outdated. All we can do now is wait
for Frontier to fix their API. Until then - good luck in finding profitable routes
Elite Dangerous 2.4 and call for help! 27-09-17
EDDB has been prepared for all the 2.4 changes. This includes system renames, new modules and
Journal changes. However, some stuff needs further investigation.
Update: This has been kindly submitted. Thanks!
More specifically we
need a raw Journal file dump of an FsdJump event for the system Rohini and of a Docking event
for the station Eudaemon
Anchorage in that system. You can join our
Discord Server to
get in touch with me (username themroc).
API main version bump from v4 to v5! 16-10-16
You can read more on the API page. If
you use the files, please change your import script accordingly!
Minor Faction enhancement! 03-10-16
With the upcoming release of Elite: Dangerous 2.2 and the introduction of the journal (find out more about it
here) the 3rd party developer community will have an awesome opportunity
to programmatically know what's going on in the game. In practice this means that with EDMC
(or another application supporting the journal and EDDN) every player will be able to update more data on EDDB automatically without
This includes body information on detailed scan, black market prices on illegal commodity sale, or faction information on system arrival or station docking.
This is an opportunity since only now we are able to keep track of factions and their state and system/station presence throughout the universe. And of course I had to take that opportunity and enhance EDDB.
Overall changes on EDDB and ROSS
- Factions are a seperate entity now and can be updated on ROSS.
- Allegiance, government and state of a system or a station are now being auto-updated by specifically setting the controlling faction and its state at a system. All other systems and stations which the faction control, inherit these too.
- On EDDB factions can be searched with the Minor Faction Search & Finder. If you come up with another filter that could be useful for you, drop me a message on Discord (@themroc).
- The System Finder and Station Finder have been adjusted to filter your result by a specific faction.
Wanna know more about the internals? Read more here!
The way factions work on EDDB has been reworked from scratch. Before this update, it worked like this:
system and the
station tables each had a string property
faction which could be edited freely.
government had to be set indivdually for each
- There was no interconnection.
With this update almost everything has changed:
station tables still have individual
Those can not be updated manually and inherit their values from the
- There is an individual
faction table now. It holds
allegiance and if it's a
You can browse the list and create new factions on the designated ROSS overview page.
faction table also contains a
global faction state property which is read only and gets updated automatically.
station tables both have a
controlling faction property now.
system now accumulates multiple instances of
faction presence, which save the
influence and the system specific
state of every
faction present at the system.
- Changing the specific
faction system state of a
faction in a
- If the
faction system state is a
conflict state (
civil war or
election), only the
global faction state inherits that.
faction system state (in every other
faction is present) falls back to
- For every other
faction system state in every other
system inherits the
global faction state value as well.
- If a
faction controls a
system or a
local state gets updated from the
faction system state
- Changing the
controlling faction of a
system or a
government of the
system are changed to the
system state is changed to the
system faction state value.
So much about the internals. The problem (yes, of course, we got one...): The whole faction data quality on EDDB is utterly bad. It was just not possible to keep faction and state information up 2 date.
Right now the
system state and
station state are not in sync with the
system faction state of the
controlling faction. Same goes for
I simply don't know what's more up2date. I decided to keep those untouched and only added the factions to the system without the implications described earlier. Only after the first change on ROSS or via EDDN will stuff be updated.
I hope that this strategy will lead to the least errors. And in time, everything will get in order.
Material distribution! 05-09-16
The official introduction of the detailed distribution of materials on bodies made the logging almost obsolete.
- The place to input material data is ROSS now. Below the ring input area, a material input area has been established. It is now possible to set specific distribution based material information for every body.
- The material logger history has been purged. Instead you can find all changes on the Database Change History page on ROSS.
- And of course the Bodies - Search & Find page has been pimped as well! For every material that is searched in the finder, a seperate sortable column with the distribution value is added to the result list. This will make it easy to find the right body for your demands!
- Unfortunately, with this update it is not possible to add material data to rings anymore, only bodies and belts are supported now. This might change at a later point though.
EDDB proudly presents the introduction of Bodies! 22-06-16
Over the past months I was working on the goal to make bodies of ED a part of EDDB too.
It had to be complete in terms of data information. And it had to offer the search & find
the Systems or
I believe that goal has been achieved.
As usual, ROSS
acts as the backend and registered users are
able to edit every single body detail.
You can start on the Body Overview.
That said, EDDB is able to hold information for every kind of body in the ED galaxy.
This includes (compact) stars, planets, belts and rings. Every type got its own data set.
What you see on EDDB can be updated on ROSS.
Element Materials: EDDB offers functionality for logging
and finding materials.
With the Material Logger
very easily tell EDDB what you found where (you need to be logged in). And with the
Body Finder you can set
filters to find bodies yielding materials.
Resource Extraction Sites: EDDB has records of rings and
belts (again, add them on ROSS).
With the Body Finder you
the Pristine and Metal Rich site near you!
Statistics: The Body Search & Finder
gives you unlimited filter possibilities. Additionally you can select any body property
available as extra result column and sort by it.
With this it's easy to find extreme bodies and their follow ups easily.
A big thanks goes to CMDR Ian Baristan.
Only with his help I was able to offer the huge amount of body images. The goal was never to get
a 100% exact image system,
but to rather find default images that match the body roughly. Rings are not being visualized
yet, but I'm sure I will find a way for this soon.
With the great help of CMDR Wolzan, the author of
Elite Galaxy Online,
EDDB can start with more than 5000 bodies.
He supplied very high quality data from his site. Last but not least, thanks to CMDR Nexolek for the
great inspiration and especially his element material base data.
I hope you enjoy the new features. If you feel like something's missing, feel free to contact me.
You can find me in the QuakeNet
or on the EDCD
What's next? My next step will be the nightly JSON dump for
Also, I wanna look into a way to import Captains Log bodies.
But first I need a little break :)
PS: Overall I pushed 50 commits and changed or created 212 files with 10677
additions and 532 deletions.
Even older news:
- ED Market Connector
received an update and should work perfectly fine now.
- New Modules have been added.
- New Commodities have been added.
17-05-16: Bugfixing here and there...
- Powerplay was broken and got fixed multiple times.
- A jQuery update broke a selector which lead to the commodity price development chart
not working anymore. That's fixed now too.
- I'm sure I did more within the last month. Stuff I wish I'd remember now :)
- This is the system counterpart to the Station Search & Find
- Filter by Allegiance, Power Faction, Station Precense and many more.
- Sort by different properties like the distance to your location.
01-01-16: Happy New Year 2016!
- The Single Route Finder,
the Loop Route Finder and the Multi Hop Trade Route Finder now can be
filtered by Powers!
- EDDB is now fully linked with EDSM.
This required the cleanup of ~100 systems being wrong or not existing.
Also, EDDB now correctly maps those
oddities: www.edsm.net/systems/pairs .
That means, from now on the systems M Carinae, V2389 Orionis, C Puppis, Arti, Naraka
and Alma exist twice on EDDB. The last 3 even have stations. Those have been divided
among both real systems and are assigned correctly now.
- The new property
is_rare has been added to the nightly
28-12-15: Open Letter to Frontier Developments
27-12-15: Some minor updates:
- The settings and properties of
the Station Finder can be bookmarked and
reloaded via a Perma Link now.
- A new sortable column has been added to the result table of
the Station Finder: Price Age.
- Two new properties have been added to the nightly
station.market_updated_at (Unixtimestamp of the last price update) and
23-12-15: EDDB and Horizons!
With the release of Horizons, a lot has been done in order to make
EDDB as ready as possible for the new content.
- All new commodities have been added.
- The new station type Planetary Outpost and the new
economy Colony have been added
- Unknown stations coming from EDDN are being created automatically. Those are likely
planetary stations and are tagged as those. Also, shipyard messages for planetary
stations get rejected.
- The complete EDDN backlog has been reapplied properly and all the data has been
cleaned as much as possible.
- A new marker reflects planetary stations throughout EDDB
- The Single Route Finder,
the Loop Route Finder and
the Multi Hop Trade Route Finder DO
NOT include planetary stations by default. You have to enable that in
the station filter. The state is being saved in your profile of course!
- Found a bug? Missing a feature? Don't hesitate to contact us!
25-10-15: Improved Powerplay and API version bump
- The Powerplay section has
been improved - more information and more accurate data!
- Powerplay filters have been added to the Station Finder
- The nightly data dumps
have been updated to v4 - including more accurate
Powerplay information, station modules and ships. Read the changelog!
15-10-15: EDDB proudly presents: Station Search & Find!
- Find your stations that sell the ship and the modules you want.
- Filter by Allegiance, Star Distance, Landing Pad and many more.
- Sort by the distance to your location.
- 06-10-15: EDDB now runs on a new server! More RAM, more CPU, more
SSD, more performance!
- 21-09-15: EDDB now fully supports Shipyard information! This includes the
EDDN data as well as manual editing via ROSS. On EDDB the selling ship list is visible on
the station page for now. A search function will be added later!
- 17-09-15: Finally added a
- 16-09-15: Again a lot of performance optimization has been done. Station
pages with a large amount of historical data will load faster now. But more important: On
the bottom of the station page you will find the 10 most profitable loops (if there are
any...). Just click on the link in the overview box to scroll down fast. Enjoy!
- 14-09-15: Added links to the
Simbad Astronomical Database
to the system page where possible!
- 14-09-15: All station pages received links to the
Multi Hop Route Trader with pre-populated
station info. This should make up for the purge of the old Single Finder that was still
active on the station page. If you still miss any functionality, don't hesitate to contact
- 13-09-15: I did a massive code cleanup. Please report any kind of
malfunction! Everything should run smooth but you never know :)
- 01-07-15: The whole Single
Hop Route Finder has been reworked and now offers filters like the
others already have. Enjoy!
- 21-06-15: Added Powerplay to EDDB!
- 18-06-15: EDDB now supports EDDN schema v2!
- 16-05-15: The EDDN message
log has been added to ROSS. Particularly useful to
debug the price update stream.
- 08-05-15: New trade helper: Loop Route Finder! Find high
profit round trips near you. If you wanna go for highest profit possible, give it a try!
- 19-04-15: Added some rare commodities and Limpets. Those which have a
chance of being illegal in some stations, so the commodity lists can be complete.
- 14-04-15: Added the distance to star filter to the single route finder.
- 15-03-15: The JSON dump has been updated. The version is now v3. Read more!
- 14-03-15: It's been a while. And the waiting was worth it! As of now, EDDB
has a Multi Hop Trade Route Finder!
- 05-02-15: A lot of data cleanup! Highly frequented stations (at least 5
EDDN transmits) should not have any fake commodity listings anymore. The station charts
benefit as well!
- 04-02-15: In the station commodity market table a new button has been
added: The chart symbol opens a price development chart!
- 01-02-15: The EDDB family proudly presents:
Repository Orbiter of Systems and
It's the backend of EDDB. Everybody can add and update system and station information for
EDDB. Wanna know more? Read the FAQ!
- 02-02-15: The JSON dump has changed! Read more...
- 22-01-1: User accounts have been added to EDDB. For more information read
- 19-01-15: As of now the core data of EDDB gets dumped as JSON every night
for everybody to download.
- 18-01-15: During the last 24 hours EDDB had massive server lags due to a
hoster issue. Seems fixed now...
- 15-01-15: Distance from station to star has been added.
- 15-01-15: Commodity page as a new search function now! Find closest
stations that buy or sell.
- 14-01-15: Added last update information to commodity prices.
- 14-01-15: Blackmarket / max station landing pad size was imported from Maddavo's Market Share! Info is visible in
all station lists. Also a route filter has been added.
- 13-01-15: Fixed a couple of small bugs and cleaned up the codebase. Please
don't hesitate to drop me a message if you experience any unexpected behavior!